Re: Emacs's set-frame-size can not work well with gnome-shell?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Emacs's set-frame-size can not work well with gnome-shell?
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2020 15:11:11 +0300

On 21.01.2020 11:29, martin rudalics wrote:
> GNUstep what? I'm hesitant to install the dependencies, whatever they are.

Forget it.  It can be useful for checking dependencies when implementing
new features.  One cannot do practical work with it IME.  What I meant
was rather whether anyone see problms like yours on NS-based machines.

Like a Mac? Apparently not. But they do complain about flickering:

https://github.com/sebastiencs/company-box/issues/79#issuecomment-576507598

> Still, a good question. I did a Lucid toolkit build and, lo and behold, the bug went away. Also it's blazing fast:
 >
 > (benchmark 200 '(resize-test test-frame))
 > => 0.007s

So is it usable?  In your other mail you seemed to indicate that it's
still flickering.

It's usable, yes. Without visibility cycling, there's little flickering, and it doesn't happen in the simple scenario we're discussing now.

> And can you resize child frames by dragging their
> borders with it?

Yes, that works both with Lucid and Motif. BTW, dragging bottom and right borders is fast and smooth, but dragging top-left is very choppy.

If it _is_ usable, the problem is not with mutter but with GTK (maybe in
connection with mutter) or our interpretation of GTK.  To make very sure
you could also try a Motif build (it had very few dependencies when I
installed it, IIRC).

Apparently so. Again, Motif works about as well as Lucid.

Unfortunately, I'm getting reports that the Lucid build is much slower than GTK at least for some others: https://github.com/tumashu/company-posframe/issues/2#issuecomment-576582371

In either case this is the most important finding we had so far.  I
should have asked you earlier.

I should have tried it myself as well.

 > That didn't help, however. With either value of frame-resize-pixelwise.
 >
 > Did 'make bootstrap', to make doubly sure.

I have to go through our GTK code once more.  Maybe I find a similar
discrepancy.  For example, does anything change when you set
'x-gtk-use-window-move' to nil?

No change.

> It appears that they work okay in other desktop environments, though. It might also turn out to be a GTK problem.
 >
 > FTR, my GTK version is 3.24.8.

Mine is 3.22.11 and I'm always reluctant to upgrade my environment.  For
every problem upgrading fixes, I usually get three new ones.

If only we didn't have to support newer versions for other users. :-)

Does your
GTK still have the

(emacs:2053): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_distribute_natural_allocation: assertion 'extra_space >= 0' failed

problem?  I see it here when starting emacs -Q from a terminal and use
the mouse to shrink the Emacs GUI frame to something less than the tool
bar width.

Yup. I see it.