Re: Making vertical-border char defcustom?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Making vertical-border char defcustom?
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2020 20:08:00 +0200

> From: "Paul W. Rankin" <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2020 09:49:30 +1000
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> > I don't understand the difficulty.  AFAIU, all you need is augment
> > your prettify-vertical-border with a call to window-display-table, and
> > then no overriding could get in your way.  Or am I missing something?
>
> Ah sorry, the issue seems to be with some interference from a global minor
> mode page-break-lines-mode... Your suggestion helped me find that. Thanks.

You are welcome.

> Would the net benefit from making the vertical-border char defcustom still
> make it worthwhile? It seems similar to the recently added
> display-fill-column-indicator-character, a vertical line that sits next to
> the vertical border and is customisable.

We don't offer customization of the display tables via defcustom, most
probably because it is "tricky" (as you yourself discovered).  I
hesitate to offer just this one slot of the display table, and the
fact that it only affects TTY frames and requires UTF-8 capable
terminal on top of that doesn't provide additional motivation...

display-fill-column-indicator-character is an entirely different
matter, it's a minor mode which lets users specify an indicator glyph.