Re: Font problem on git master

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Font problem on git master
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2020 11:39:29 +0100

>>>>> On Mon, 20 Jan 2020 11:20:01 +0100, İsmail Dönmez <address@hidden> said:

    İsmail> Hi,
    İsmail> Since the switch to cairo, I cannot set any font at all. Here is
what
    İsmail> happens, running

    >> emacs -Q

    İsmail> This gives me a nice mono font which I suspect is the one set by
Gnome
    İsmail> (Consolas at pixel size 12)

You can check by doing 'C-u C-x =', which will pop up a buffer showing
what font is being used.

    İsmail> If I remove all my emacs config, so no ~/.emacs ~/.config/emacs, and
    İsmail> run emacs (without -Q) then I get a non-scalable looking font.
Trying
    İsmail> to select any font using the font selection results in:

    İsmail> "Font not available: #<font-spec nil nil Consolas nil nil normal
    İsmail> normal nil 12.0 nil nil nil nil>"

    İsmail> which I have to admit, doesn't help me :)

Hmm, do you have only the bitmapped version of Consolas?

    İsmail> Also, I used to have the following in my config file:

    İsmail> (setq default-frame-alist
    İsmail>       '((font . "Consolas-13:antialias=natural")
    İsmail>         (vertical-scroll-bars . nil)))

    İsmail> which results in "*ERROR*: Font ‘Consolas-13:antialias=natural’ is
not defined"

    İsmail> This is all on openSUSE Tumbleweed (using Andreas Schwab's awesome
    İsmail> build from
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:AndreasSchwab:emacs:master/emacs)
    İsmail> with cairo 1.16.0

My WAG is that you donʼt have (m)any scalable fonts installed, just
bitmapped ones.

Robert