Re: Is Emacs buffer scroll/redisplay slow?

From: Fabrice Popineau
Subject: Re: Is Emacs buffer scroll/redisplay slow?
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2020 01:23:22 +0100

Le dim. 19 janv. 2020 à 23:20, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> a écrit :
>> > .... scrolling through an elisp buffer: I started the timer by hand and
>> > scrolled down for 1000 lines ....
[...]
>> .... and it took 45s on Windows/WSL and 35s on Windows/native.

1000 lines divided by 45s is about 22 lines per second.
If you did that with `C-n` it suggests you're simply using a keyboard
repeat rate of about 20 repetitions-per-second and Emacs is just neither
fast nor slow.  35s on native suggests the keyboard repeat rate is
(surprisingly) different, more like 30 repetitions-per-second.

If Emacs is slow in such a test, you'll notice because it will stop
refreshing the display at times (hoping that skipping the redisplay time
will help it keep up with the repeat rate).

If I posted this, it is because looking at it, the cursor was like jumping from line to line,
but it doesn't seem steady. Actually, I changed some setting to get a faster autorepeat
and emacs keeps up when the time is down to 16s for 1000 lines, more than twice as
fast.

Best regards,

Fabrice