Re: Is Emacs buffer scroll/redisplay slow?

From: Fabrice Popineau
Subject: Re: Is Emacs buffer scroll/redisplay slow?
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2020 16:34:17 +0100

Le dim. 19 janv. 2020 à 16:28, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> a écrit :
> From: Fabrice Popineau <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2020 15:24:19 +0100
> Cc: Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
>  > .... scrolling through an elisp buffer: I started the timer by hand and
>  > scrolled down for 1000 lines ....
>
>  How, exactly, did you do the scrolling?  How did you stop the scrolling
>  at 1000 lines?  Do you get this slowness on any elisp buffer, or is it a
>  particular one?
>
> I used my phone timer. It was my init.el file but I get the same result with dired.el

You didn't answer the question about the exact way of scrolling you
used.

C-n or down arrow

Also, did you measure the CPU time it took, out of those 35 sec?  (I
assume the time you measured was elapsed time, yes?)

>  > .... and it took 45s on Windows/WSL and 35s on Windows/native.
>
>  That is slow indeed.
>
> Definitely.

Not necessarily.  The elapsed time has little to do with the speed we
scroll.

We could expect emacs to be a little bit more reactive here.

Fabrice