Re: Extend gdb to filter registers

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Extend gdb to filter registers
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2020 19:21:43 +0100

> Thanks.  Then maybe Martin will be able to explain what happens here,
> and why, and why I cannot see it on my system.

Without further customizations, the behavior depends on two factors: The
default values of 'split-width-threshold' and 'split-height-threshold'
and the current size of the frame.  'display-buffer' will try to split a
window when it's at least as large as indicated by the former and such
sizes are easily possible on large displays with maximized frames.  If
'display-buffer' cannot split a window, it will reuse one.  With a frame
already containing two windows, the reused window will be usually the
non-selected one.

The most simple approach to get a behavior where only a single source
code buffer is displayed is to add a new gdb option to customize the
'display-buffer' call that tries to display the next source buffer.
That call should (1) identify the current source code window, (2) add a
'previous-window' alist entry specifying that window and (3) specify
'display-buffer-in-previous-window' as the preferred buffer display
action.  To see how to this can be done compare the 'pop-to-buffer' call
in 'debug'.

martin