Re: Emacs's set-frame-size can not work well with gnome-shell?

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Emacs's set-frame-size can not work well with gnome-shell?
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2020 22:57:22 +0100

> Tracking that red border is something Emacs internal and is eventually
> translated to gtk_window_resize calls just like 'set-frame-size' and
> setting the 'height' or 'width' frame parameters.  Hence, all your
> earlier attempts to resize the frame would then have resulted in frame
> movements as well.
>
> What I'm more concerned about here is that mutter actually _moves_ the
> frame although there should not be any decorations that would make such
> movement possible and not that dragging the red border does not resize
> the frame because I already knew from your earlier observations that
> resizing child frames is not supported.

Scrap that.  When dragging the left or upper border, the frame position
has to change and, if the WM refuses to resize the window, the
net-effect is that of moving the frame to the right or down.  You won't
see any such effect when dragging the right or lower border, because in
that case the frame position should conceptually remain unaltered.  So
your intuition was to the point and my interpretation was downright
silly.

Still, try with 'override-redirect' t ...

martin