Re: write-region bug ?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: write-region bug ?
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2020 07:29:14 +0200

On January 6, 2020 5:50:55 AM GMT+02:00, Jean-Christophe Helary
<address@hidden> wrote:

> > On Jan 6, 2020, at 12:37, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> >> From: Jean-Christophe Helary
> <address@hidden>
> >> Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2020 01:42:35 +0900
> >>

> And I wish I understood better what
>
> (docstring) "the buffer is marked as visiting FILENAME."
>
> (lisp reference) "Emacs establishes an association between the buffer
> and the file: the buffer is then visiting that file."
>
> mean practically speaking, because nowhere in those sentences does it
> imply (to me) that the buffer contents will overwrite the file.

This is explained at the very beginning of the "Files" node in the Emacs
manual.  The Glossary also explains that under Saving and under Visiting.
These are very basic notions in Emacs, so if the relations between a buffer
visiting a file and what happens when you save that buffer aren't clear to you,
I suggest a good reading of those parts in the manual.