Re: Using incremental parsing in Emacs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Using incremental parsing in Emacs
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2020 12:09:08 -0500

>> I'm pretty far behind in my backlog, so can't say much yet, but IMO the
>> design of some "next generation font-lock / syntax-ppss / indentation /
>> navigation" infrastructure should start by considering the use of
>> multiple CPUs.  That's actually one of the benefits of the LSP approach ;-)
>
> My understanding is that tree sitter also supports parallel parsing of
> a single file.

Such parallelism is great, but just to clarify I was more thinking about
having the new system work concurrently with the rest of Elisp.
I.e. have one CPU run Elisp while other CPU(s) do the syntax processing,
whereas a naive use of tree sitter's parallelism would end up with
either Elisp running alone or tree-sitter using several CPUs but never
both at the same time.

        Stefan