Re: Using incremental parsing in Emacs

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: Using incremental parsing in Emacs
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2020 15:53:45 -0800

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> So I still think we should first consider how the interfaces
> supporting the various features should look, and only after that look
> around for packages that perhaps are already doing that.  In general,
> with all due respect, I don't expect the existing packages to teach us
> TRT, because they are doing stuff in Lisp alone, and that is
> inherently limited and likely sub-optimal.

The interface should look like LSP; it aims to support everything an IDE
needs from a "language server" (ie parser), and allows for custom
extensions where it falls short.

LSP language servers are implemented in some compiled language, not
elisp; eglot/lsp-mode is just the elisp side of the protocol. The elisp
sends edits and info requests (ie, "insert/delete this text at this
point", "fontify/format this range") to the server, and handles the

ada-mode works in a similar way, but LSP is an industry standard, so it
is a better choice.

If Emacs has a mode that conforms to the editor side of the LSP
protocol, it can use _any_ LSP language server; they do not have to be
provided by Emacs.

For example, Debian could provide some language servers as packages (I
assume it does now, but I have not checked), and Emacs could just use
them.

--
-- Stephe