Re: Using incremental parsing in Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Using incremental parsing in Emacs
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2020 16:24:02 +0200

> Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2020 13:36:39 +0000
> From: address@hidden
> Cc: address@hidden, Emacs-devel
>  <emacs-devel-bounces+phillip.lord=address@hidden>
>
> https://github.com/ubolonton/emacs-tree-sitter/
>
> https://github.com/karlotness/tree-sitter.el
>
> The former uses Rust for the dynamic module support.

My gut feeling is that modules are not the best way of bringing this
to Emacs (and doing this via Rust on top of that makes even less sense
to me), which is why I suggested to come up with a design first.

> Tree sitter itself also uses Javascript and npm to define the
> language grammars, although AFAICT, these compile down to C.

They compile to C, and I'm quite sure that it shouldn't be too hard to
allow a language grammar to be written in some other scripting
language.  But I think these are secondary considerations at this
stage.