Re: On elisp running native

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Re: On elisp running native
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2020 11:31:31 +0000

arthur miller <address@hidden> writes:

> A question:
> Would it be possible to lump all compiled functions into one .so file per
> package?
> I have tested your branch after update2, haven't had time to test after
> the last update.

Thanks for the feedback, is cool to know that somebody reproduced.

> I didn't see any speedup on load time, either with -Q
> flag, or when I loaded my init files and packages. I have complied all
> elpa packages to eln, including my custom lisp and init file (whatever was
> compilable).
> I guess since there is one .eln per .el file, there is lots of disk
> access. Same for byte code and pure lisp. Maybe the init time is dominated
> by file access, rather then the processing those files.
> Could it maybe be possible to create one .so per package si that all
> functions from corresponding eln files is that .so? It could drastically
> reduce number of file access at load time. I don't know if it is
> possible.

I have no evidence that using eln is faster or slower than elc in terms
of load time.  What you suggest is easily possible from the compiler
point of view but how should it behave exactly? We probably would need
some notion of package then?

Anyway I'd like to point out that:

  - Mosts are likely to be compiling at speed 0 for now, and this
    translate into considerably bigger elns (not sure this has an
    impact).

  - We should profile the load process first to understand were we spend
    time.  But I'm not sure we are at this stage of refinement.

Andrea

--
address@hidden