Re: "If you're still seeing problems, please reopen." [Was: bug#25148:]

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: "If you're still seeing problems, please reopen." [Was: bug#25148:]
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2020 03:35:31 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> How about if we add a bug-reporting-function, to be set by any mode
> that wants to override the default one (which sends email to debbugs)?
> Then report-emacs-bug could be modified to detect the modes active in
> the buffer, and suggest the possible alternatives to the user.  I
> think adding to our coding conventions a single variable that in most
> cases doesn't even have to be set will be easier to propagate to the
> few modes which want their own bug-tracking.  And users will benefit
> from not having to search high and low for the relevant command.

Sounds good, yes.  But as you describe it, it doesn't cover those cases
where people invoke the command from an unrelated buffer (*scratch* or
so), e.g. because they needed to restart Emacs.  Adding some
explanations to the initial text in the bug report buffer of the default
reporting command would thus be good I think.

Michael.