Re: *scratch* buffer documentation

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: *scratch* buffer documentation
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2019 10:12:44 +0200

> From: Jean-Christophe Helary <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2019 10:03:53 +0900

> 19 Using Multiple Buffers
> *************************
>
> The text you are editing in Emacs resides in a provisory object called a
> “Buffer”.
>
> When I read "provisory" I have alarm bells ringing and I want to know more,
> so I check the rest of the documentation and indeed, I find the kill command
> and that confirms that buffers are indeed provisory and need to be saved to a
> *permanent* file to have their contents archived.
>
> Would that be an agreeable proposal?

Maybe, except that it cannot be a single word.  We cannot say
"provisory" (a better word is "provisional", btw) without explaining
what it means in this context.  And some might even say that
"provisional" is inaccurate, because that's not exactly the nature of
a buffer: it never changes as long as it exists, so there's no
changing of it later.

How about this addition instead, after the first paragraph:

  Buffers exist as long as they are used, and are deleted ("killed")
  when no longer needed, either by you (see Kill Buffer) or by Emacs
  (e.g., when you exit Emacs, see Exiting).