Re: *scratch* buffer documentation

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: *scratch* buffer documentation
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2019 16:55:40 +0200

> From: Jean-Christophe Helary <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2019 08:58:45 +0900
>
> I am not seeing anything in the Emacs manual that says a modified *scratch*
> buffer does not trigger a "buffer modified. Kill anyway ?" message when
> quitting.

This is a standard Emacs behavior with any buffer that doesn't visit a
file, so I'm not sure why you expected to see anything special in this
case.

> > Isn't that manifestly implicit on the first line of *scratch* ? :
> >
> > ;; This buffer is for text that is not saved
>
> No, because it is possible to save the buffer to a file. Also, the value of
> this text can be changed, so there is no guarantee that the user sees it.

Let's clarify the "is not saved" part of the text that is in the
buffer, it's much more efficient than any documentation anywhere.

If that text is changed, whoever changes it is expected to know what
he or she is doing, so let's not argue about that use case.

Thanks.