Re: Christmas wish: Literate Elisp

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Christmas wish: Literate Elisp
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2019 23:16:31 -0500

The idea sounds basically plausible, but note that simply rejecting
all lines that start with anything other than ( plus whitespace
will give the wrong results.  Lisp code includes lines that start
with other things.  Look at any file of Lisp code and you will see
many that start with letters, digits or quotes.  The proposal
needs to be corrected for this.

But I think that correction won't be difficult.

Indented comments should be recognized and formatted differently
but not exactly the same as interpolated text.

Perhaps triple-semicolon should be the marker for interpolated text.
That way, it would not require any change in Lisp parsing or in Lisp Mode.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://gnu.org, https://fsf.org)