Re: [ELPA] New package: elisp-benchmarks

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: elisp-benchmarks
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2019 22:56:50 +0000

Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:

> Andrea Corallo <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi, I attach the patch git formatted.  I've also fixed two nits.
>
> Thanks for this package, and I'm looking forward to trying it out! I
> have one question at this point, which is that it seems somewhat
> limiting to require benchmarks to be placed into this package's own
> benchmarks/ directory. It seems like it would be nice to let them live
> anywhere, even if that means selecting them manually, rather than
> forcing a single location, as the package currently seems to do (unless
> I'm missing something?). For example, it might be nice to ship other
> packages with their own benchmark libraries, which would then be
> selectable somehow. What do you think?
>
> Thanks!
> Eric

Hi Eric,
that's a very good point thanks for commenting.

Actually with the current setup you could depose a benchmark in the
benchmarks folder that calls say some gnus function and define a test in
that way.  Everything would work except the 'recompile'.

I also like the idea of doing the other way around (defining benchmarks
and have them shipped with the package itself).  This would be
potentially more elegant but I guess we should then have the
infrastructure to do that in Emacs and not just in ELPA.  Is this
correct?

Maybe you have in mind a different mechanism for this?

Bests

Andrea

--
address@hidden