Re: Display certain glyphs with paddings on the side

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Display certain glyphs with paddings on the side
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2019 01:36:05 +0700

On Wed, 4 Dec 2019 at 01:13, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> > I think Emacs might have most of the features needed already as part of the
> > composition engine
>
> No, character composition does nothing to the width of glyphs on
> display.  We take the width from the glyph metrics reported by the
> font.

I use composition in prettify-symbols-mode to render a symbol in a
two-space field, e.g. to visualize a ‘!=’ sequence as a '(?\s (Br .
Bl) ?\s (Bc . Bc) ?≠) composition. Pretty sure that any CJK glyph, if
its width is less than two spaces, can also be padded that way. No
idea how to arrange for the compositions to be used for all CJK
characters though.