Re: Should `revert-buffer' preserve text-scaling by default?

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Should `revert-buffer' preserve text-scaling by default?
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2019 10:47:28 +0100

Karl Fogel <address@hidden> writes:

> So going back to the previous proposal seems like the best approach, because
> it allows us to change just the buggy behavior(s) and nothing else.  To
> reiterate: that proposal is to have a new list variable
> `revert-buffer-preserved-modes', whose default value includes these modes:
>
>   `text-scale-mode'
>   `display-line-numbers-mode'
>   `display-fill-column-indicator-mode'
>   `hl-line-mode' (maybe?)
>
> Over time we could adjust the default contents of this list, of course.
>
> I would also like to hear what others here think, both about the overall idea
> and about what modes should be in that list.

Since you are asking for opinions:

The bug you originally mentioned with text-scale-mode and
revert-buffer is incredibly frustrating.  I incorrectly assumed there
was a good reason for the behaviour, and never bothered looked into
it.  So thank you for doing that.

I agree that all four modes above should stay enabled on
revert-buffer, including hl-line-mode.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas