Re: On elisp running native

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: On elisp running native
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2019 17:10:19 +0200

> From: Andrea Corallo <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2019 14:59:16 +0000
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> |             | byte-compiled | native-compiled | speed-up |
> |-------------+---------------+-----------------+----------|
> | interactive |           27s |             19s |     1.4x |
> | batch       |           15s |              8s |     1.9x |
>
> To me makes quite sense that in interactive there's less difference
> cause of the re-display done in C anyway.

Regardless of the speed-up due to using native code, it sounds strange
to me that byte-compiling interactively takes twice the time it takes
non-interactively.  I have hard time convincing myself that redisplay
has such a profound effect on byte compilation, since byte-compiling a
file normally yields one or two lines of output, regardless of the
size of the file being compiled.

Does the timing change if you delete the window showing the
compilation log?  In that case, redisplay is not involved at all.

Also, was the interactive session started only once, and then used for
compiling all the files?  Or was it restarted anew for each
compilation?  If the latter, then the slow-down is probably due to a
slower startup of a GUI session.

Thanks.