Re: Avoiding the three-windows merging with Git

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: Avoiding the three-windows merging with Git
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2019 23:48:00 +0100

On 2019-11-27, at 21:15, Kévin Le Gouguec <address@hidden> wrote:

> Marcin Borkowski <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Why should it connect to any remote site?
>
> To be fair, cloning/fetching/pushing from/to local repos is not a
> feature I've seen advertised often, though obviously it's All There In
> The Manual :)

Fair enough.  OTOH, I came to Git from (early) Mercurial, where creating
local clones was a standard way of doing branches.  Also, I sometimes
create local clones to perform experiments with Git.  (There is another,
not very well known feature of Git called "worktrees", which is kind of
similar.  Basically, worktrees allow one to have several working
directories, all corresponding to a single .git directory.)

>> In fact, it would be probably even simpler to use branches instead of
>> clones for creating artificial conflicts like this.
>
> Sure, that is a rather heavy-handed way to create conflicts.
>
> What I like about this setup is that it allows someone unfamiliar with
> Git "remotes" to experiment locally, either to learn the basics of the
> push-pull-whoops-conflict workflow, or to tinker with more advanced
> stuff (server hooks, being on the wrong end of git push --force…)

Good point.  (BTW, a few months ago I studied a nice online course on
Git, which used exactly this approach to teach remotes.)

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl