The overlay branch (yet again)

From: Vladimir Kazanov
Subject: The overlay branch (yet again)
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2019 14:44:40 +0000

Hi all,

a few years ago I tried replacing the underlying overlay data
structure with a tree-based one. Back then I ran out of spare time and
had to delay the project.

I'll have time on my hands this winter and would like to get back to
the project again. This time it seems that most of the work was done
by Andreas Politz in the feature/noverlay branch:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2018-03/msg00565.html
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2019-09/msg00543.html

It seems reasonable to pick up the branch and try to finish it, unless
somebody is already working on it. So my questions are:

is anybody working on the branch? why was it abandoned? Are there any
known problems with it?

Thank you

--
Yours sincerely,