Re: Emacs project mission (was Re: "If you're still seeing problems, pl

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Emacs project mission (was Re: "If you're still seeing problems, please reopen.")
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2019 20:43:18 +0000

Hello, John.

Sorry for the delay in responding.  I've had a very busy weekend.

On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 21:30:55 -0700, John Wiegley wrote:

> AM> I don't see what the above paragraph has to do with my sentence that you
> AM> quoted. I purposely didn't include Apple in my "companies like that". As
> AM> you note, Apple has other flaws. You seem to be denigrating what I said by
> AM> a straw man argument.

> I misread you then, Alan, my apologies.

No problem!

> I actively avoid using Google software as well, because they install
> software without my consent that "phones home", so perhaps I'm more
> aligned with your sentiments than I had realized.

Yes.  I don't use Google things either, and NoScript blocks out any of
their scripts used by third parties (of which there are a shocking
number).

"Phoning Home" from an EU state without the user's consent has been
unlawful for a year and a half now, at least.  It's a pity there has
been no firm enforcement procedings as yet.  Maybe they will come.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).