Re: Emacs project mission (was Re: "If you're still seeing problems, ple

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs project mission (was Re: "If you're still seeing problems, please reopen." [
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2019 17:28:52 +0200

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2019 16:20:19 +0100
> Cc: Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>,
>  "Perry E. Metzger" <address@hidden>,
>  Michael Albinus <address@hidden>, Richard Stallman <address@hidden>,
>  address@hidden
>
> > And how often, really, do you get new, valuable info from reporters
> > who filed a bug years ago, where nothing has happened in the meantime?
>
> Often.  Probably not the majority of them (because they've stopped using
> Emacs etc), but for the people still with us, it's vital.

Right.  Just look at bug-gnu-emacs lately (thanks to Lars, Stefan, and
others): many old bug reports were dusted off, and their OP asked
whether the problem still existed in the current master.
Surprisingly, a vast majority of them responded with valuable
information.

Once again, I think we need to talk to GitLab developers about this.
It makes no sense not to have a solution for this issue.  Maybe there
already is one, just not widely known or documented.