Re: "If you're still seeing problems, please reopen." [Was: bug#25148:]

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: "If you're still seeing problems, please reopen." [Was: bug#25148:]
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2019 16:49:29 +0200

> From: João Távora <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2019 20:12:28 +0000
> Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>, Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>,
>       emacs-devel <address@hidden>, Richard Stallman <address@hidden>, Dmitry
> Gutov <address@hidden>
>
> > > Well, yeah, but from the contributor's side the process is very
> > > similar. Apart from not being able actually merge the PR
> > > to master, he changes the PR's branch in the very same
> > > ways as I (the developer) described in my previous email.
> >
> > That branch _is_ the problem.  You don't want that to be a branch in
> > our upstream repository.
>
> Why don't you?

Because then anyone could push code to our main repository, even
without having write access, and we don't want to host code we didn't
eyeball in advance: it might include stuff we don't want to have
anywhere close to Emacs, or to GNU in general.

> As an Emacs developer, I create branches under scratch/
> very frequently.

You are trusted with write access to our repository, and you obtained
that trust after some initial period whereby we took a good look at
your coding and documenting practices, and made sure you are aware of
our conventions, standards, do's and dont's.  By contrast, J.R. Hacker
from out there was never subject to such scrutiny, and could make
serious mistakes, or even do something evil on purpose.

So we will need to set up a mirror repository somewhere.  the current
best idea is to host that on savannah.nongnu, I think.