Re: evaluating numbers

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: evaluating numbers
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2019 15:49:04 +0200

> From: Jean-Christophe Helary <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2019 21:23:00 +0900
>
> > This isn't about importance, this is about potential slowdown in
> > displaying a simple integer result because Emacs needs to look for a
> > suitable font.
>
> Ok, so there are no needs whatsoever to display *any* character when
> evaluating an integer, am I correct ?

There are situations where it is useful.  For example:

  M-: (char-after) RET

> Also, eval-expression-print-maximum-character is described in "24.9
> Evaluating Emacs Lisp Expressions" but unlike eval-expression-print-length
> and eval-expression-print-level it is not indexed in the elisp reference even
> though both are also described only in that same chapter. Is that an
> oversight ?

I don't think it's an oversight.  This is a user option, so its place
is generally on the user manual.  The ELisp manual has a
cross-reference to where that variable is described; the ELisp manual
mentions eval-expression-print-length and eval-expression-print-level
only because they are relevant to print-length and print-eval
described there.