Re: BIKESHED: completion faces

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: BIKESHED: completion faces
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2019 17:53:02 +0000

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 5:39 PM Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> Then how about simply using face aliases, without obsoleting the
> current ones?

I didn't know that was possible.  It's perfect.

> >   "first-difference" to "completion-emphasis" and
> >   "common-part"  to "secondary-emphasis"
>
> I think secondary-emphasis is not a good name, it says nothing about
> its use.  We should find a better name.

"alternate-emphasis"?  But if faces can be aliased without obsoleting,
then 'basic' can continue the old names with maximum semantics.

And since I don't think flex has much need for "alternate-emphasis"
, it can continue to use the old names.

> But anyway, this is a very minor issue, the main issue is not how to
> call the faces.

The main issue, for me, is letting 'flex' emphasize the part of the
string that matched the pattern, so that users of flex can get
visual feedback (like Drew, albeit a little longwindedly, explained
here: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2019-11/msg00261.html).

This is the core of my proposal: to improve usability of the new
flex style by default.  With your face aliases idea, the patch
becomes even simpler, and can be contained to just 'flex' (or
expanded to substring and p-c-m if their authors/users find
acceptable).

João