Why fido, icycles, ido, icomplete

From: Ergus
Subject: Why fido, icycles, ido, icomplete
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2019 22:20:18 +0100

Hi:

Sorry I have a sacrilegious question, maybe too obvious for everyone,
but not for me yet.

90% of the emacs users are actually using ivy or helm... The statistics
of downloaded packages are there; but also they are provided by default
as part of the most popular customizations like spacemacs.

Apart from that we actually already have (and invest effort supporting)
ido, icomplete and maybe others provided as internal packages... in
spite they are not (with huge difference) as popular as ivy or helm in
these days. And at least I don't know how to differentiate one from the
other.

So:

1) Do we really need another confusing mode (fido-mode)? instead of
improve one of the already existing alternatives with just an option to
use flex?

2) Why we don't move all of those (the old and the new ones) to elpa as
independent packages? (this will help also to know their individual
popularity in our days and if it makes sense to invest more or less time
in each of them)

3) If ivy & helm are the most popular these days... why we don't try to
collaborate a bit more with their maintainers in order to provide them
functionalities that they are emulating now with hacks? It will be more
efficient now and beneficial for future similar packages in the future.