Re: BIKESHED: completion faces

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: BIKESHED: completion faces
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2019 21:54:27 +0000

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 9:39 PM Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> wrote:

> I do believe first-difference continues to play a useful role.
> Especially in situations where input's suffix is non-empty.

Those are relatively rare.
But yes, it plays an important secondary role there.  It should just
be named differently after that secondary importance, maybe
even using the word "secondary".

> >  > BTW, what do "typical" other systems use as highlight for the
> >  > common part?  Is there enough agreement there that it's worth trying to
> >  > pay attention to it (kinda like the "blue" for hyperlink convention)?
> >
> > Company uses the same face for flex and common, a drab red
> > that is barely visible against the default yellow.  But it's consistent.
> I think it's quite visible. If you have problems with its contrast,
> please file an issue. I'm surprised, though, since I generally prefer
> higher-contrast themes.

I could use a better contrast yes.  But by "barely" visible, I was trying
to express that I _can_ still recognize it.  But it's really the threshold:
Stefan's blue3 foreground is beyond it, it's no good. I'll open an issue
if I find some better default.

I don't understand why we don't take cues from systems where
actual professional UI designers, veritable color-theme scholars,
are probably employed.  Don't we have some of those in our
ranks?

--
João Távora