Re: master 1d4862e: Fix English grammar in some doc strings and comments

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: master 1d4862e: Fix English grammar in some doc strings and comments
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2019 21:33:58 +0100

On Mon, Nov 04 2019, Stephen Gildea wrote:
On Mon, Nov 4, 2019 at 3:38 AM Stephen Gildea <address@hidden>
  wrote:
> -In this case, we try to ignore minor-modes, and only > return a > +In this case, we try to ignore minor-modes, and return > only a > -Only used by `save-buffer'."
  > +Used only by `save-buffer'."
> -This function only handles buffers that are visiting > files. > +This function handles only buffers that are visiting > files. > -This variable only applies to buffers where > `buffer-file-name' is > +This variable applies only to buffers where > `buffer-file-name' is > -This function only handles buffers that are visiting > files. > +This function handles only buffers that are visiting > files. Just out of curiosity, in what sense is that "fixing a grammar error"?

As a limiting adverb, "only" must be placed next to the thing it limits. For example, in the last sentence you quote, "only" does not limit what the function does with the buffers (handle them) but rather limits what
is handled (file-visiting buffers).

Says who? The original examples all sound perfectly natural, more natural than the corrections, in fact. Looks like one of those rules up with which we should not put.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments