Re: completion-at-point + semantic : erroneous error

From: Eric Ludlam
Subject: Re: completion-at-point + semantic : erroneous error
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2019 07:52:10 -0400

On 10/23/19 4:18 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
As a followup, I started using the shorter version of your patch, and found
there are additional errors thrown from
semantic-analyze-possible-completions-default (what will be a method in
your patch).  I had to eliminate those errors to fully clean up the original
problem that started this thread.
[ Sorry for taking so long to get back to it.  ]

After fighting for a while with your patch (it was full of NBSP chars
and wrapped lines) and then looking at it some more, I decided to
install the patch below instead which replaces the `catch` with
a `with-demoted-errors` (and places it in the caller instead).
Maybe those errors should indeed all be replaced by silently returning
nil, but the code currently goes through the trouble of building
more precise error messages, so I felt like maybe we should preserve
that info.

Thanks Stefan, and sorry about the bum patch.  I'll do attachments in the future.

Your patch seems like a good start.

One of the things that was driving me to fix this this is that I typically have debug-on-error on by default, so having this function run all the time via company-mode was disruptive.  It looks like with-demoted-errors will continue to allow debug-on-error to stop, which would be useful for debugging a real problem.

That said, I think it is OK to move forward with the simple version of your patch as it will help anyone trying to do the same thing w/out debug-on-error.

Eric