Re: building emacs on macos 10.15, headers missing

From: Alan Third
Subject: Re: building emacs on macos 10.15, headers missing
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 10:29:50 +0100

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 06:46:12AM +0900, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
> > Is libxml2 the only thing it balks at?
>
> Yes, as far as I can tell.
>
> > I considered adding a homebrew
> > check for it in configure, but thought the homebrew folk would
> > eventually fix the pkg-config error they introduced so it wasn’t worth
> > it.
>
> error ?

Homebrew provide a broken .pc file for the system libxml2, it should
be in

    /usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/os/mac/pkgconfig/<os
version>/libxml-2.0.pc

and points to /usr/include even if it doesn’t exist. I can’t find the
bug report right now, but they had a solution and were just waiting
for someone to implement it. Looks like that’s not happened yet.

> > Perhaps now is the time to add that check to configure.
>
> I'd be happy to test.

Patch attached. It’s very simple. There’s some code just after the new
code I’ve added that should check for the existence of the xcode SDK
directory, but I think the bogus .pc file provided by homebrew stops
it from running. But I’ve a feeling it maybe doesn’t work anyway...
--
Alan Third