Re: Tabs

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Tabs
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2019 10:16:36 +0200

> So maybe the problem is in set-window-configuration?
> (that is used by tab switching)

Presumably so.  A much simpler scenario without tab bars is

(let ((conf (current-window-configuration)))
  (tool-bar-mode -1)
  (set-window-configuration conf))

or on other builds with an internal tool bar (including Windows)

(let ((conf (current-window-configuration))
      (frame-inhibit-implied-resize nil))
  (tool-bar-mode -1)
  (set-window-configuration conf))

This will require some surgery, so don't expect a fix in a few days.

And I have no idea yet whether and how this could affect GTK builds.

>> although I would prefer to (at least customizably) see the tab
>> bar to appear below the tool bar but that's no great deal.
>
> I have no preference, but in web browsers the tab bar is above the tool bar,

Certainly not in mine (though it took me some effort to fix that).

> and this makes more sense because the tool bar depends more on the buffer so
> it should located closer to the buffer, whereas the tab bar refers to elements
> higher in the window/frame hierarchy.

IIUC, in all other builds we show the tab bar below the tool bar.

martin