Re: Setting rectangle-preview face in init.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Setting rectangle-preview face in init.
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2019 12:41:33 -0400

> I don't like to use Customize interfaces because:

I don't either, but for faces I've found its advantages are significant
compared to the various problems with set-face-attribute.

> 3) Some complex setups breaks it (like defining conditional faces
> depending of some if conditions (window-system, (display-graphic-p)).)

Given that Emacs can have GUI and tty frames within the same session, if
you want your config to work reliably, the
window-system/display-graphic-p/... tests need to be re-executed for
every frame created (rather than calling set-face-attribute such that it
applies to all frames).

Custom actually does let you deal with that by specifying different
attribute values depending on window-system/display-graphic-p/...
(the UI isn't great for that, so I typically edit the custom-set-faces
by hand to do that, which is of course not recommended either, ...).

> I won't ask for a change for anything of this,

FWIW, I think it'd be good to have Elisp-access to Custom's
face manipulation so you wouldn't have to choose between the two,

        Stefan