Re: Tab bar tabs landed on master

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Tab bar tabs landed on master
Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2019 21:48:06 +0300

>> Some examples of prefix arguments that support cycling:
>>
>> C-2 C-TAB switches to the second next tab
>> C-- C-TAB switches to the previous tab
>
> This seems to have broken the C-x 6 prefix when invoking commands
> without an argument.  E.g., "C-x 6 f" errors out as "undefined" and
> "C-x 6 2" invokes 2-Column mode.  I guess this is not intentional?

Now 2-Column mode uses only its primary mnemonic binding prefix `f2'.
And for backward-compatibility still binds `C-x 6' when its package is loaded.

> Btw, it's a pity that C-TAB and C-S-TAB aren't normally supported on
> TTY frames.  It would be nice to have a supported short binding, or at
> least to have "C-x 6 o" switch to the "other" tab.

Ergus said that in xterm it is possible to use only C-TAB, but not
C-S-TAB.  I tried, and indeed C-TAB works in -nw, and even C-S-TAB
is available as [backtab].  But maybe this is not on all TTY frames,
where 'C-x 6 o' should be the shortest replacement.