Re: Native line numbers landed on master

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Native line numbers landed on master
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2019 15:24:35 -0400

> I know the recommendation, but the reason many variables don't follow it is
> that it is less convenient. In cases like this one, I think it's quite
> likely that the tick values will depend on the mode or the kind of data, or
> even its length

Really?  On the contrary, I'd assume most users will want to set it once
and for all with a (setq display-line-numbers-major-tick 16)
and then will be stumped why that setting doesn't seem to work (hint:
it only applies to the *scratch* buffer).

Maybe there will be a few special buffers/modes where they will set it
to a different value, but these will likely be exceptions.

        Stefan