Re: Native line numbers landed on master

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: Native line numbers landed on master
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2019 05:41:51 +0200

On Wed, Oct 02, 2019 at 01:51:17AM +0200, Juanma Barranquero wrote:
On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 12:53 AM Ergus <address@hidden> wrote:

1) I don't have any strong feeling about using one or two values. But in
any case they should be configurable. This will add more use cases that
could benefit with this and I think it will be simple to implement (just
need to add 2 int variables).

Adding the variables is trivial, yes. The problem is dealing with errors,
like the user setting the variables to non-numbers, etc. I'm sure we don't
want to throw signals there, do we?

Eli, opinions?

We deal with similar issues very often. For example in
display_fill_column_indicator_column it uses a general case where it can
be t or a positive number. You in the simpler case you can use also
DEFVAR_INT to bypass part of the needed tests. But in general you only
need to avoid divisions by zero, value = NILP,or any non numbers. if so,
the code does nothing.

You only need this:

if (RANGED_FIXNUMP (1, my_Lisp_Object, INT_MAX))
  int my_C_object = XFIXNUM (my_Lisp_Object);

2) Is it possible to call merge_faces more lazily? I mean inside the
`if` `else if` so only one of them will be called when needed. AFAIK
maybe_produce_line_number is called for every line and the code needs
only one of those merges every 5/10/x lines.

You're right. Thanks. Improved patch attached.