Re: A project-files implementation for Git projects

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: A project-files implementation for Git projects
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2019 12:23:26 +0300

On 20.09.2019 18:04, Michael Albinus wrote:
Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

I think this would require two events, though: queue-overflow-start
and queue-overflow-stop.

I'm not sure that inotify signals that a queue could be reused. It must
be arranged by the client. inotify(7) says

        Note that the event queue can overflow.  In this case, events are lost.
        Robust applications should handle the possibility of lost events grace‐
        fully.   For example, it may be necessary to rebuild part or all of the
        application cache.  (One simple, but possibly expensive, approach is to
        close  the  inotify file descriptor, empty the cache, create a new ino‐
        tify file descriptor, and then re-create watches and cache entries  for
        the objects to be monitored.)

Ah, okay. So I guess the application can enter the "degraded" mode and then add a timer to try and enable notification-based operation again.