Re: Improve reporting of I/O, access errors for Emacs

From: Richard Copley
Subject: Re: Improve reporting of I/O, access errors for Emacs
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2019 10:50:22 +0100

On Wed, 18 Sep 2019 at 03:26, Paul Eggert <address@hidden> wrote:
On 9/13/19 12:37 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> My point was that in the
> code of the primitive itself, we have all the information to decide
> whether or not to signal an error; but on lower levels, we don't have
> enough context to make such decisions, so we should only return an
> error indication from those lower levels.

OK, thanks for clarifying. I reworked the patch along the lines that you
suggested, and installed it into master.

The Windows build is broken again. It seems likely one of the recent commits affecting file error codes is the culprit. The build fails here:

rm -f bootstrap-emacs.pdmp
./temacs --batch  -l loadup --temacs=pbootstrap
emacs: Testing file: Permission denied, c:/projects/emacs/share/emacs/27.0.50/etc/NEWS
make[1]: *** [Makefile:817: bootstrap-emacs.pdmp] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/c/projects/emacs/src'