Re: A project-files implementation for Git projects

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: A project-files implementation for Git projects
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2019 13:46:19 +0300

On 16.09.2019 18:25, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Should we sacrifice some correctness for speed?

No, but it was never my intent to say otherwise.  What is "correct"
here?  E.g., 'find' will find _all_ the files, including the ignored
one -- is that "correct"?

'find' can handle an arbitrary list of ignores, including whitelisting entries (a feature which I've yet to add, but still).

Not every file that's registered in a VCS should be seen as part of the project, and some of the unregistered (and gitignore-d) still should be (e.g. config files that are created by every developer individually but still should be editable by them through Emacs and project-find-file).

If backends other than Git (and maybe Hg) can't return untracked
files

Which backend cannot do that?  Bzr can (you just need to call it
twice), and the other two also can.  So I think we have no problem
here.

Tassilo said that Bzr can't, I haven't checked. There was also talk of SVN, so "the other two" might mean "the other three".

We could make up some performance using filenotify and caching, so that
'find', though slower, would at least be called infrequently.

That's over-engineering, I think.

Really? Consider: we have to maintain the find-based approach anyway since not everyone uses Git/Hg/Bzr.

And the filenotify-based cache would do one job. Conceptually, at least, it should be simpler than coercing several VC systems into doing the job of 'find' with ignore/whitelist entries not exactly matching VCS's view of the repository.