Re: Question about display engine

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: Question about display engine
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2019 13:26:02 +0200

On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 10:25:58AM +0200, martin rudalics wrote:

FWIW I see no problems in this regard.  One thing that surprises me on
a TTY is that the 'region' background does not cover the background of
'widget-field' (as it does on a GUI) but apparently this seems to have
been the case ever since.

Please. Could you give me how to reproduce this issue?? Maybe I could
fix it too. (if there is not a reason for having this as is, of course)

Maybe also the :extend attribute of the default face should show up as
"On" by default but I wouldn't even know where to specify that.

I didn't for two reasons. 1) In the merge process the default face is
used to initialize always the vector, so it is not needed to set it
:extend t. But also many other faces (specially in extern packages)
inherit from default and then set other attributes in their faces so all
of them will need to be changed... to behave correctly... so better not
to change the default face in my opinion... What do you think?

For the rest, I'm all for installing this ASAP so we can see what kind
of problems people have with it.  I do expect some sort of breakage in
external packages.

I usually (as suggested by Eli) wait around 2 weeks until more people
have time to test the changes and report issues before adding this in
master. I need to update also the documentation (manual and NEWS) before
merging in master. If you want to propose what to put there it will be
very nice. Documentation takes me a lot of time because I am not
familiar with the texi format

Best,
Ergus