Re: [Emacs-diffs] master a59839d: file-truename now uses realpath for lo

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master a59839d: file-truename now uses realpath for local files
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2019 11:02:45 +0300

> Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2019 10:27:05 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> For all of these reasons, I think we need to talk about the issue
> before implementing it, and the implementation, if we will have one,
> should resolve all of the problems mentioned above.

One possible solution would be to have file--truename bound only on
platforms which have the realpath function natively in their libc.
Then files.el could test that with fboundp.  I see no reason to
replace a loop in files.el by a loop in Gnulib's realpath emulation,
so we might as well not pretend realpath exists when it doesn't.