Re: Question about display engine

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Question about display engine
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2019 14:25:36 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden
> From: martin rudalics <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2019 14:46:03 +0200
>
>  > But I still feel that this is not about faces, this is about face
>  > attributes, so the customization should on the attribute level, not on
>  > the face level.
>
> You're right.  But then the earlier 'face-extend-to-window-edge' is
> not appropriate either.

Right, that idea eats dust.

> Maybe we could start with a simple 'extend-face-background' option
> (and add others if needed)?

What about users who change the region or hl-line faces to use
underlining?

IOW, the problem with the attribute-level idea is that it will affect
those attributes regardless of the face from which they came.

So I now tend to think that if we consider some faces not eligible for
extension, we should not extend any face attributes at all.  Too bad
no one else except the 3 of us is talking in this thread; we need more
opinions.