Re: Emacs memory management and sluggishness

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs memory management and sluggishness
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2019 10:43:54 +0300

> From: Joseph Mingrone <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2019 23:28:26 -0300
>
> I reverted back to a commit from May 25 and I see a bit of sluggishness
> whenever the garbage collector does it's job, but the memory usage does
> not explode to several GB and take down the box.

Please state the commit to which you reverted, we have quite a few of
them on any given date.

Also, since you never opened a bug report, could you please show here
the details of your build as they are collected by report-emacs-bug?
Please do that both for the build that does and doesn't exhibit the
memory problems.

> If I can find some time, I will try to bisect commits to determine
> what change introduced the problem.

Thanks, that would help.

There have been changes recently to GC and hash-table management,
maybe they are responsible.  But I find it strange that we don't have
reports about this across the board, which seems to hint that some
local config details or specific use patterns are also needed to
trigger the problem.