Re: Question about display engine

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: Question about display engine
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2019 17:09:23 +0200

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2019 13:31:34 +0200
From: Ergus <address@hidden>
Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden

The dfci mode exposes the issue 36858 in org-mode because:

Org mode underlines only the headers in gui if no dfci mode is
enabled, else the underline is extended until the indicator+1 character.

But in tui the underline extends until the end of the line always, so
the indicator looks pretty bad. That's what started this thread
actually. The incoherence between both interfaces.

But this is unrelated to the issue of extending a face that straddles
a newline, right?  The issue being discussed in this thread is about
faces that cover the newline; those cases that don't cover the newline
are simply bugs in display-fill-column-indicator-mode, and should be
fixed regardless of what we are talking here.

It is possible that some solutions for the issue we are discussing
here would also fix bug#36858 as side effect, but we should not delay
solving that bug until the issue in this thread is resolved, because
this issue is much more general and has much wider implications.  So
it might be that we decide not to change the more general behavior, or
change it in a way that doesn't solve bug#36858.

Or am I missing something?

Hi Eli:

The problem is the incoherence, so the solution will be very different
depending of If we keep the tui behavior then there will be needed a
design choice about what to do with the indicator, if we keep the GUI I
have already a fix patch for that.