Re: macOS/GCC support policy

From: Philipp Stephani
Subject: Re: macOS/GCC support policy
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2019 16:55:02 +0200

Am Fr., 2. Aug. 2019 um 13:51 Uhr schrieb Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>:

> > From: Philipp Stephani <address@hidden>
> > Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2019 12:08:35 +0200
> > Cc: Alan Third <address@hidden>, address@hidden,
> >       Emacs developers <address@hidden>
> >
> > > What exactly prevents building with GCC on macOS?
> > >

> > I haven't investigated in detail, but when I try to run configure with
> > GCC 9 from Homebrew, I get the error message
> >
> > checking AppKit/AppKit.h usability... no
> > checking AppKit/AppKit.h presence... yes
> > configure: WARNING: AppKit/AppKit.h: present but cannot be compiled
> > configure: WARNING: AppKit/AppKit.h:     check for missing prerequisite
> > headers?
> > configure: WARNING: AppKit/AppKit.h: see the Autoconf documentation
> > configure: WARNING: AppKit/AppKit.h:     section "Present But Cannot
> > Be Compiled"
> > configure: WARNING: AppKit/AppKit.h: proceeding with the compiler's result
> > configure: WARNING:     ## ------------------------------------ ##
> > configure: WARNING:     ## Report this to address@hidden ##
> > configure: WARNING:     ## ------------------------------------ ##
> > checking for AppKit/AppKit.h... no
> > configure: error: The include files (AppKit/AppKit.h etc) that
> > are required for a Nextstep build are missing or cannot be compiled.
> > Either fix this, or re-configure with the option '--without-ns'.
>
> Thanks.  It would be good if someone could investigate what is the
> problem here (and any other problems, if there are any).

Excerpt from config.log:

configure:10941: checking AppKit/AppKit.h usability
configure:10941: gcc-9 -c -g3 -O1 -fsanitize=address
-fsanitize=undefined -fno-omit-frame-pointer -x objective-c     -x
objective-c  conftest.c >&5
In file included from
/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/usr/include/os/object.h:101,
                 from
/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/usr/include/dispatch/dispatch.h:48,
                 from
/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Headers/CFStream.h:20,
                 from
/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Headers/CFPropertyList.h:17,
                 from
/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Headers/CoreFoundation.h:60,
                 from
/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Headers/Foundation.h:6,
                 from
/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Headers/AppKit.h:10,
                 from conftest.c:142:
/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/usr/include/objc/NSObject.h:22:4:
error: unknown type name 'instancetype'
   22 | - (instancetype)self;

(lots of similar errors follow)

This indicates that GCC treats the header as C instead of Objective C.
Which is interesting because -x objective-c is given explicitly. Does
GCC need some other flag to force compilation as Objective C?