Re: [Emacs-diffs] master fd54102: * lisp/files.el (file-size-function):

From: Mattias Engdegård
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master fd54102: * lisp/files.el (file-size-function): New defcustom
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2019 12:43:45 +0200

22 juli 2019 kl. 22.14 skrev Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>:

> FWIW, I agree that the name is slightly misleading, in that it seems to
> expect a function which takes a file name and returns the size of the
> file (most naturally represented as an integer number of bytes).
>
> So maybe something like `file-size-human-readable-function` is a better
> choice (then make file-size-human-readable call it and rename the
> current body of file-size-human-readable to something else,
> e.g. file-size-human-readable--default tho maybe that name shouldn't
> include "file" since it can also be used for other sizes).

Right, it is also intended for describing disk space, memory usage, etc. Given
that, I ended up with `byte-count-to-string-function' which is passable but
doesn't feel entirely satisfactory. Better name suggestions are welcome.

Since `file-size-human-readable' is used outside Emacs and a change in
semantics might break assumptions, I left it untouched. Instead, most calls to
that function were replaced with (function byte-count-to-string SIZE). If you
would rather that we add a function for this (byte-count-to-string, maybe)
instead of using the variable directly, this can be arranged.

22 juli 2019 kl. 19.29 skrev Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>:

> Thanks.  Please consider calling this out in NEWS and maybe also in
> the ELisp manual.

NEWS updated; thanks for reminding me. I couldn't find a natural place for it
in the manual.

Oleh, you had strong personal preferences for a particular format, and the
customisable variable should now accommodate your wishes in more places than
before. The default format was chosen for readability and standards compliance,
and for being unambiguous.