Re: 7 logical-xor implementations in source tree

From: Mattias Engdegård
Subject: Re: 7 logical-xor implementations in source tree
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2019 19:46:04 +0200

25 juli 2019 kl. 19.28 skrev Paul Eggert <address@hidden>:

> Mattias Engdegård wrote:
>> there are many ways of open-coding the logic depending on the circumstances.
>> (Examples from a simple pattern search at the end.)
>
> Thanks for those examples: they form a compelling argument for adding both
> 'equiv' and 'xor' (under whatever names we choose).

Just don't draw too many conclusions from them, as they reflect the search
patterns used (or, fundamentally, my limited imagination).

It's not even sure the author would think of the logic as `equiv' or `xor' in
every instance. For example (from a random package):

>             (cl-assert (eq compilation-result
>                         (not (eq (car (last (car test))) 'vo)))

This is detected as an xor pattern, but it's really an assertion of the value
of `compilation-result'.