Re: `message' not outputting the newline "atomically"

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: `message' not outputting the newline "atomically"
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2019 18:16:33 +0300

> From: Richard Copley <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2019 14:45:58 +0100
> Cc: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>,
> address@hidden,
>       Emacs Development <address@hidden>
>
>  > "make -O=line" buffers all output from one line of the Makefile.
>  > For typical targets with only one command, it's the same as "-O".
>
>  Our targets are not one-line, though.
>
> Some are, notably .c.o.

Which is fine, because people who use this option don't want
diagnostics from different source files mixed up.

> The point is that your statement that "make -O=line"
> "provides the line-level separation that you want to see" is not true. It's
> up to
> you to decide if that affects your argument.

Whether to use that option is in the eyes of the beholder, of course.
Exactly like any other Make option, like -jN.  It comes for a price,
but whether one is prepared to pay that price is up to each one of us,
and depends on what we want to do.