Re: Algorithm in electric-pair--unbalanced-strings-p unsuitable for CC M

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Algorithm in electric-pair--unbalanced-strings-p unsuitable for CC Mode
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2019 11:52:32 -0400

Hi Alan,

> Thanks.  That's part of the problem.  Another part is that syntax
> fontification will have wrongly fontified the bits beyond the end of the
> invalid string with font-lock-string-face.

We've gone through that several times already.
We don't and can't know if it's wrong or not, because it depends on what
is the error: is there a missing closing " on the line, or should the
newline be preceded by \ ?

So no matter which behavior we choose to use, it will sometimes be
wrong, and the frequency of which is right and which is wrong completely
depends on things like the age of the captain.

You decided to expend a lot of efforts on implementing
a differently-wrong behavior than the default wrong behavior, breaking
long standing useful wrong behavior along the way.  That's your
prerogative.  But it's still wrong anyway because there can be no right
behavior here.

        Stefan